Whether it’s in the workplace or at home, going green is a great idea to help the environment. This does not have to mean spending more money. In fact, most of these tips save money! It can be super easy to go green if you follow these simple steps.
- Skip the bottled water: Buy a reusable water bottle and avoid the disposable versions. Plastic water bottles are one of the most significant items that contribute to plastic waste. Plus, you may find you drink more water, which is an added bonus!
- Use efficient energy: Motion-detected lights are a great way to save energy. Also, LED light bulbs are very cost efficient and environmentally safe! Many new homes and offices are moving to these energy-saving features, but you can easily convert your home or office by taking a trip to your local hardware store where these items can be purchased.
- Reduce meat intake: The process by which meat is mass-produced is high in cost and uses gallons of water per meal. According to PETA, it takes about 2,400 gallons of water to produce one pound of meat. Try going meatless for a couple of meals a week!
- Plant a garden: This is a fun and easy way to go green and go organic. When you grow your own food, you know exactly what is used in the process. This is a great way to save money and reduce waste from packaged store foods.
- Buy local: Buying local is the best way to support your community and ensure you are buying organic and fresh products. If you aren’t too keen on growing a garden, buying from local farms and companies is a nice alternative.
- Get rid of plastic baggies: If you pack your work lunch in sandwich bags, try switching them out for reusable bags or containers. Some great products are microwave safe Pyrex bowls, silicone storage bags, and BioBags!
- Try reused paper: Are you using 100% post-consumer recycled paper? If not, this is an easy way to save some trees. Another tip is to start printing double-sided. This reduces paper waste by 50%.
- Change your thermostat: During the winter, many of us want to crank up the heat, and during the summer, we like to turn up the a/c. Try not to do this, and instead, only change the temperature a few degrees warmer or cooler and reduce your carbon footprint.
Green Team at Veritext
One of the great aspects of our partnership with Veritext, Legal Solutions, is aligning our goals with their Green Team! We are all committed to making our offices a more eco-friendly environment. Our initiatives include transitioning from Styrofoam coffee cups to recyclable paper ones, along with paper stirrers. Collectively, we are working towards using recyclable tote bags instead of plastic bags. But our goals aren’t limited to internal employees, we want to ensure that our clients and beyond are educated on ways to go green.
It’s easy to make small changes toward saving the environment and saving money at the same time. If we each make small changes, it will have a big impact. These are just a few of the simple ways you can try out to live a more green life. Every small act helps, so let’s each do our part!